Report Identity Theft

If you are the victim of identity theft, contact the appropriate agencies and institutions below:

Police Report

File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.

Federal Trade Commission

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission so that law enforcement agencies across the nation have access to the information. Keep a copy to help support your claims with the banks and credit card companies involved.

Banks and Credit/Debit Card Companies

Call the security or fraud departments of the companies where fraudulent accounts where opened or changed without your authorization and request that these account(s) be closed. Also, send the request in writing and ask them for verification that the account(s) have been closed. Use this sample identity theft victim notice form to notify creditors and collection agencies.

Credit Card Reporting Companies

Contact the following credit card reporting companies and ask that a "fraud alert" be placed on your credit reports. This alert tells creditors to call you before opening any new accounts or changing information on existing accounts.

Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. (
PO Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374, tel: 1-800-525-6285

Experian (
P.O. Box 2104, Allen, Texas 75013, tel: 1-888-397-3742

TransUnion LLC (
tel: 1-800-680-7289

Identity Theft To Do List

View the identity theft to do list for more agencies to contact and for steps to take to help clear your name and restore your FICO credit score.

Strategies, tips, and tools to achieve short-term and long-term personal finance goals!


All of the content presented on is for informational purposes only. None of the content presented on this website is intended as a substitute for professional financial advice. Articles and other content posted on this website do not necessary represent the views of the website owner. does NOT endorse any entity displayed on or hyperlinked to from this website. Usage of this website constitutes acceptance of all terms of use. Terms of use subject to change without notice.