Personal finance, short and long term goals. How will you know if you have obtained your goals if you do not know what they are? The first step to goal getting is goal setting.
Begin by answering the following yes or no questions honestly and accurately.
Write the answers on a piece of paper and add them to your personal finance tips notebook. Title the page Goal Getting Tips.
- I know what I want to achieve financially this year.
- I have obtainable goals, not just hopes and wishes.
- I do something towards my main goal getting each and every day.
- I know which goals I have achieved because I stated them clearly.
- I celebrate when I achieve each one of my goals.
Goal Setting Tips
If you answered no to anyone of these questions, take out a clean sheet of paper and write down what you would like to accomplish in the next 12 months using the following guidelines. You may want to add to this list over the course of a couple days to give your subconscious time to remind you of your true desires.
- Be specific about your goal i.e. $100,000 is specific, more money is not specific.
- Write your goals in the present tense as if you have already achieved them i.e. I receive, instead of, I will someday receive.
- Use positive words and phrases i.e. I am rich, instead of, I am no longer broke. Example: I receive an income of $100,000 per year.
- Choose obtainable goals. Is "I want to be a billionaire by next month" really doable for you?
Review Your Goals
Once you have written down your goals, review them to see if any conflict. If you find any conflicts, choose the ones that you really want and cross out the other ones. Then, re-write your list on a clean sheet of paper.
Goal Getting Tips
Post your list where you will see it everyday. If you do not live alone, consider who else will see the list and if they will support you with your goals. Read your list OUT LOAD every morning when you awake and every night before going to sleep. Take one action every day towards one or more of your goals. Once you achieve a goal or part of a goal, reward yourself for a job well-done. Use our goal getting to do list worksheet tool to keep track of your weekly personal finance to do items.