Automobile liability insurance is mandatory in the USA. The minimum amount of liability insurance required by law varies by state. Contact your state's motor vehicle registration department for more information. Collision insurance, the part that insures your vehicle from damage, is not typically regulated by the states.
Personal Finance Tips for Automobile Insurance Policies
- Review your mileage to see if you are driving more or less miles this year and change your coverage accordingly.
- Ask for a good driver discount if you have no traffic convictions or at fault accidents.
- Ask for a policy longevity discount.
- Ask if they give affinity plan discounts if you also have a homeowners insurance policy with the same company.
Automobile Insurance Premiums
The amount you pay for your automobile insurance premium can be affected, in part, by the following items:
- Your driving record
- Make and Model of your vehicle
- Year vehicle was built
- Body Style of vehicle (i.e. coupe, 4-door, wagon, pickup, etc.)
- Annual Mileage
- Zip code where your automobile is parked
- Primary use of your vehicle (commuting, pleasure, business)
- Amount of liabilty insurance
- Amount of collision insurance
- Extra features such as towing and roadside assistance
Typical Automobile Insurance Policy Safety Feature Discounts
- Anti-lock braking system
- Factory installed anti-theft device
- Driver and passenger front and sid air bags
- 4 doors instead of 2 doors
Impact Jackets for Motorcycle and Horse Back Riders
If you ride a motorcyle or ride horse back, an Impact Jacket can save your life. Impact jacket systems include a landyard, anchoring cables, and a CO2 cartridge and are designed to deploy in the event of an accident.